Elton and Edwin Beckwith, two well-born and well educated brothers from the state of Maine settled here in 1869. Over time they built up one of the state's largest cattle herds: over 7,000 strong. Their ranch covered nearly 3,000 fenced acres. They developed some well-placed political connections and Elton even served a term in the State Senate. Elton and his wife Elsie were the prime movers in the construction of their estate. They gave the ranch the air of an English country estate, complete with neatly kept lawns, guest cottages and even a ballroom for formal dances.
After Edwin died in 1898 and Elton in 1907, their land was sold off in pieces. However, some enterprising local residents were able to rescue the ranchstead and preserve it as a tribute to the valley's ranching heritage. Now it is a property of the Colorado Historical Society.