Sawtooth National Forest

Sawtooth Mountains
The Sawtooth Mountains

Sawtooth National Forest contains about 1,500 recorded heritage sites: archaeological, cultural and historic sites that reflect our common American heritage going back maybe 10,000 years. And for we who visit, the forest offers everything from the highly developed recreational activities of the Redfish Lake Complex to the incredible coutryside of the completely undeveloped and downright primitive Sawtooth Wilderness.

Toxaway Lake in the Sawtooth Mountains
In the Sawtooth Mountains, looking down on Toxaway Lake

President Theodore Roosevelt originally designated the Sawtooth Forest Reserve in 1905. Today, the Sawtooth National Forest contains some 2.1 million acres, incuding some of the most remote forestland in the 48 contiguous states. Included are more than 3,000 miles of streams and rivers with more than 1,000 lakes. About 96% of Sawtooth National Forest is in Idaho with the remaining 4% in northern Utah.

Sawtooth Valley
Sawtooth Valley
Sawtooth National Forest
Looking north in the Utah section of Sawtooth National Forest
Photos of the Sawtooth Mountains and Valley courtesy of Wikipedia userid Fredlyfish4, CCA ShareAlike 3.0 License.
Photo of the Utah section of Sawtooth National Forest courtesy of Scott Catron, CCA ShareAlike 3.0 License.
Text Copyright © by All rights reserved.