In 1874, the location for Castle Rock was chosen basically because it's in the center of Douglas County. It was named for that big chunk of rock sticking into the sky just north of downtown. Unlike a lot of older Colorado, it wasn't gold that put Castle Rock on the map, it was the discovery of rhyolite stone.
Jeremiah Gould was the first homesteader in the area, having claimed his 160-acre piece of land just south of the Castle Rock. Shortly after that a small group of buildings sprang up to serve local ranchers, workers and cowboys. Right after those few buildings were declared the center of Douglas County government, Gould donated 120 of his acres to build the town on. The Courthouse Square was laid out and with it six streets: Front, Castle, Perry, Elbert, Jerry and Wilcox. Then 77 lots, each 112x50, were auctioned off and raised $3,400 in profit to fund the municipality of Castle Rock. From that humble 120-acre beginning, Castle Rock now covers about 35 square miles in one of the fastest growing counties in the United States.
A view along the main street in downtown Castle Rock
An original in the heart of Castle Rock
More on the main street, Castle Rock behind
Another section of the business district in downtown Castle Rock
Another original on the main street in downtown
Castle Rock Town Hall